Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kellsa's Lunar Pies

Right after my failure with the gumpaste I asked my sister if she would like to make dessert for tonight. It would be our own creation, our recipe! I love spending time with my family especially when we're cooking or baking something.

I first ask my lil sis what she would like me to bake. She pulled
out this box of chocolate cake mix and I immediately roll my eyes because I loathe cakes in a box. She then points to the side of the box where there is a recipe for ice cream sandwiches and asks if we can make them but then I remind her that we need ice cream for that. She sadly returns the cake mix back into the cupboard. Earlier I was craving for hot chocolate made from scratch and I was thinking of making the marshmallows from scratch also because I just bought a candy thermometer earlier today and I was dying to try it out.

So, here is where my light bulb turned on. How about some marshmallow sandwiches? It was a good compromise don't you think? And yes, we used the cake mix because what else were we going to do with it? Throw it away? Haha. If you knew me you'd know that I hate to waste. Now, my sister starts
on the cookies which are made out of the cake mix.

That's her right there. Right after I took this picture I asked her if she would like to add some nuts to it. I had some macadamia nuts in the cupboard so we decided to use that. My sister then had to put those four cookie doughs back into the bowl so she could incorporate the nuts into the mix. Sorry, sister. The cake mix we used was the Pillsbury chocolate cake mix and you should find the recipe on the side of the box.

Cookies are all done but I think they still looked a little plain.

Side note: We are making our version of the famous Moon Pies. Now, Moon Pies are graham cracker cookies dipped in chocolate and sandwiched between two of those cookies are marshmallows. I didn't intend this. We just wanted to eat something sweet tonight that we were both craving.

I then decided to drizzle some white chocolate on top of the cookies. My sister went ahead an did this while I made the marshmallows.

While she's doing that I'm waiting for my sugar syrup to reach 240 degrees farenheit.


Not yet...

MMmm... lookin' good already!


Okay, sugar is done. Now into the mixer...

11 more minutes.


Two more minutes.


Marshmallows!! I made marshmallows! Oh my goodness is it sticky. I quickly put some of this soft marshmallow into a piping bag and then I piped it on to half of the cookies.


We were only able to make 11 of these so I put the rest of the marshmallow batch into a pan so they can harden. Then I'm going to cut them up and store them so I can use the marshmallows in my hot chocolate.

That was fun. I wanted to name this new creation so I decided to name it Kellsa's Lunar Pies. Kell after me and Sa after my lovely sister.

Everyone, if you love marshmallows make your own homemade batch because the effort is well worth it.

Here is where I got the recipe. I'm a big fan of Alton Brown. Alton... I like that name... Alton. Remember, you need a candy thermometer for this recipe and once it's done mixing it's super sticky so use pan spray on your spatula or whatever you're using to get it out. Happy baking!

Marshmallow Recipe

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is good good good......