Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dulce de Leche

When I saw the formula for dulce de leche in my baking book I didn't believe that the recipe was that simple so I looked it up online and sure enough it was all the same. I saw another was of making it from condensed milk but I tried it from scratch instead.

Milk, sugar and vanilla are combined in a large sauce pan and heated over medium heat until the sugar melted. Then add the baking soda then reduce the heat to low and have the mixture at a bare simmer. Leave it like this for 2 to 3 hours until the mixture reduces until about a cup is left.

Turned brown like magic! This is halfway there.

I had it carmelize just a little bit longer than what it called for because I like my dolce de leche a little thick.

All done! Dolce de leche is stored in an air-tight container until ready to use. This is the recipe I used...
Man, oh, man... always have this stuff stocked. I think it goes great with everything. Like ice cream or dipping fruit in. mmmmmmm...


No comments: