Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Samba Cupcake

I decided to make a butter cream frosting out of the DDL (dulce de leche). I wanted to try a different method other than the usual French butter cream method. I decided to do the Italian method.




I know you can't really see it but that is the eggs, egg whites vanilla and salt whipping with the sugar syrup that I heated up. I almost dumped this out because I thought the sugar formed crystals again. I have come across that problem about twice now and it's frustrating because it would be like the frosting would have rock candy in it.

I added about a half cup of the DDL and this is what it looked like. It was so yummy and rich I think I'm going to use the Italian method from now on.

For the cake I decided to do a marble cake. Here is the vanilla cake. I'm going to take half of that mixture and mixed melted dark chocolate in it.

Here's the chocolate on a double boiler.

To save time I just went ahead and poured the chocolate half in to the vanilla and then pour them into the baking cups. Assuming that they would make swirls like marble cakes are supposed to do. Sooo not... it just mixed the two together...

I brushed the tops of the cupcakes with Kahlua. That gave the cupcakes an incredible taste.

Finished! Aren't they pretty?
Marble cake drizzled with Kahlua. Topped with dulce de leche buttercream then sprinkled with cocoa. I added one of my flowers to each cupcake. Aren't they cute??

P.s. this is what happens when you try to put a pan on the rack above or below the middle rack. They cook too fast so they are nasty and dry. They have that broken top where they aren't rounded and springy. They were more like rocks after they cooled. These 8 cuppies went into the trash! This would be my lesson learned for the day.

No comments: