Saturday, November 15, 2008

Checkin' out the competition


I bought this cupcake at a cake decorating supply store. This would be my first time buying cupcakes because I always made them. This right here was the only kind they had but I didn't mind because I love chocolate and I hate sprinkles by the way.

I loved how it was moist but I hated how it was so fudgy, chocolatey which I love but so fudgy. You would definitely need to have a glass of milk standing by because this piece of work stuck all over the inside of my mouth. Frosting was light which was probably the best part about it.

I purchased this "gourmet" cuppie at my nieghborhood Raley's the day after my chocolate fudge cupcake esxperience. I always run there when my pantry is missing few ingredients and I always oogle at their cake section. A few weeks ago I noticed that they sold cupcakes individually but I've never tried them because they didn't look so gourmet-ey to me although the sign said otherwise. I decided to give it a shot.

I thought this certain cupcake was a special one because it had coconut on top while the other cuppies were plain vanilla and chocolate. I thought maybe the cake would be a lemon or something cake. Nope. Just plain ole vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream (which I don't think had any vanilla in it) with coconut shavings sprinkled on top.

Taste test? "D". The cake was light and airy which was the complete opposite of the frosting. I thought the frosting was a whipped cream frosting by the looks of it but it was buttercream. Buttercream that was thick with a whole lot of sugar crystals. So it was like chewing on sand with my cupcake. I believe the coconut was there specifically for presentation because there was nothing coconut about the cake.

No one sells any good cupcakes here! This just made me realize my cupcakes are spectacular compared to the ones I've tasted. Problem is, no one really cares for cupcakes around here. I asked my boyfriend what he thinks about making cupcakes for our son's christening and he thought it was soooo tacky. I asked why because this surprised me and he associated cupcakes with childrens partys, classroom parties where the cupcakes are plain chocolate or vanilla and frosted with neon colored frosting which all tastes the same then topped with colorful sprinkles and a plastic ornament. I obviously haven't showed him what I can do yet... Nor you!

Hahaha... till then... Happy baking!!

No comments: