Friday, December 5, 2008

Petit Ube Roulade

I wanted to get fancy with the title. haha. It's just means "small ube roll" for those that don't already know. Ube is the Filipino name for the purple yam.

I love ube. You see it a lot in Filipino homes. Mostly in the forms of desserts and ube cakes are my favorite, I also love the ice cream. Whenever my Mom would come home from the bay area she would always stop by Goldilocks and pick up some mocha and ube rolls. Those things would be gone within the hour in our home. 

I was surfing the internet one day and I came across some extracts that were made my McCormick. 


Unfortunately, they don't sell them here. So, my parents went on vacation last month to the Philippines and the only thing that I wanted was the extracts. They didn't find the McCormick extracts but they did find oils that are much much more stronger, one drop goes a long way and those are what I used. 

Here is the batter. I didn't use just the oil, I also put real ube in there. Those ingredients alone don't create that deep purple color so I had to add a couple of drops of violet food color.

Here is the baked product which only took about 10 minutes to bake. 

All done! I couldn't make them into the thick rolls because the cake kept cracking so I just made mini ones instead.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kell,

I don't bake but I do make ice cream. So far, I am not very successful with the ube flavor. Can you please tell me more about the oil and where can I purchase that in the Phil.? Thanks.

Lito

SDW_NJ said...

I can get frozen grated ube here. I could swear I've seen ube extract here, but I looked at one store yesterday and didn't find it. I'll check some others. I made ube creme brulee with the grated ube. It was awesome!

SDW_NJ said...

BTW, online sources for ube extract:
http://www.philamfood.com/MC-CORMICK-UBE-EXTRACT-.6OZ.html
http://www.orientalsuper-mart.com/ourstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1750

YOO-lee-uws said...

I'm using these Ferna flavocol (flavoring & color) in my cakes. Available in some groceries and baker's supplies here in the Philippines.

http://www.ferna.com.ph/core/index.php?q=category/ferna-products/food-flavors/5n