Tuesday, December 16, 2008

24 Karat Cupcakes

I made carrot cupcakes/cake for the first time ever and I'm pretty dang proud of myself. Why did I decide to make them? Well, let me tell you...

I was at a grocery store a couple of miles away from my home and there is this bakery/cafe in the same shopping center. I remember when I first got my
 license, the first thing I did was look for a job because my parents never gave me any allowance, not because they couldn't but because they loved me enough not to give me money so easily. So, anyway, this bakery was the only place that I really wanted to work at because it was a bakery and it was a cool, chill place to hang out at but I was 16 and they didn't hire me because I had no work experience and such. Oh well, fast forward...

I go in, looking for cupcakes, and they only sold one kind. Carrot. I haven't had carrot cake in so long but I remember liking it. I bought one of those and a cup of tiramisu which was deeeeelicioius. I can't wait to make a cupcake version. My mascarpone in the fridge is dying to be made in to one. I didn't get to take a picture of the cupcake because it had sprinkles, orange ones, and I really really hate sprinkles. I already thought the cupcake was going to taste bad because of those stupid sprinkles but no people, it didn't. It was the best carrot cake that I've ever had and I was determined to create my own one day. It was perfectly matched with this tangy cream cheese frosting and along with the horrid orange sprinkles, it was also sprinkled with walnuts. The only problem I had with the cupcake was that it had raisins in it and NO I am not a big fan those either but that was okay because I didn't even taste them.

Last night I was craving for a piece of cake, which by the way, worried my boyfriend because the last time I craved something we had our son nine months later, haha. It was my fathers birthday yesterday, too and normally we would always have leftover cake but not this time. I made the cake version of Rosie's Cupcakes and everyone killed it. There wasn't even a teeny slice left which is a great compliment but I WANTED CAKE!

So, today I wanted to make sure there is a little something sweet a hand when someone in the house wanted it. My mother made a comment saying her doctor told her and my dad to lose weight and my boyfriend leans in to tell me that I'm killing my parents. hahaha. Hey! It's not like I'm forcing those cupcakes down their throats! But... I should find a healthier way of giving them sweets... I just don't want to look to Splenda to do that.

Here they are...

I named them 24 Karat Cupcakes because the recipe I used to make them made exactly 24 cupcakes. Normally there would be about 15 or thirty. Always a couple extra where I would have to bake the extra batter after the first batch but not these! Okay, People, I'm giving you the recipe. 

I try not to use other peoples recipes but I just had to try the one by Alton Brown. Now, I didn't follow his recipe exactly, I never follow any recipe exactly because I try to make it my own and I'm glad I didn't this specific time because it came out better then that bakery's cupcake.
 
I believe what makes a cupcake is all in the frosting. If you don't have a great frosting then you have a crappy cupcake, just chuck it out the window because it is not worth eating. The problem I had with this one? The frosting was all wrong. I used this recipe... Bobby Flay's Frosting for Red Velvet cake. It was gross. That is all I have to say. And I read the reviews! Most of them loved it so I tried it and I added some cream cheese to it. Nope. Nasty stuff. Well, next time I'm just going to use my mascarpone cream cheese recipe for it and then it will be perfect =)

No comments: